Monday, May 10, 2010

Fun Restaurants in Lincoln, Nebraska

While in Wisconsin last week, I discovered a great new restaurant chain called Five Guys Burgers and Fries. It's not your ordinary burger place. Five Guys serves real food--fresh meat, with your choice of toppings for no extra charge. They cut all their potatoes fresh. Their food takes a little longer than a fast food place, but it's worth it. When I got back, I discovered we have a Five Guys going up here in Lincoln, at 13th and P Streets. The new restaurant is scheduled to open this week.

On the return flight, I sat next to Cal, who is from Lincoln. He told me about China Inn, located just north of Super Saver at 27th and Cornhusker. It's an incredible little place that serves dine-in or to-go Chinese food. Locally owned, it has a relatively small menu, which is good because they can easily keep a handle on things. I had the hot and sour soup and a spicy beef and seafood dish. It came in a bowl and was absolutely delicious. I would never have known about China Inn had Cal not told me about it. I love finding little "hole in the wall" places like that.

What about you? What's your favorite out-of-the-ordinary restaurant in Lincoln? Do you have any hidden gems you'd like to share?

3 comments:

  1. We love the Pho Nguyenn at 6111 N 27th (just south of 27th and Vine). It's real Vietnamese food at a great price. My husband loves the noodle soup and I love the vermicelli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not exactly a restaurant, but the Table is a great place to eat. It's a ministry of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church, where volunteers serve soup, bread, and licorice every weekday from 11:30 am to 1:30 p.m. at Indigo Bridge Books. Read about it here:
    http://licoricelover.blogspot.com/2010/04/eat-licorice-have-lunch-make-new-friend.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't get enough of the Capital City Grill on the corner of 8th and Q. Cobb salad with salmon is excellent for lunch. Glazed salmon for dinner on Saturday night was superb. My husband had steak the other night and it was as good as any other he's had in the best restaurants in Lincoln. Hope CCG has a long and successful run in the Haymarket.

    ReplyDelete